Monday, September 20, 2010

Pyschogeography

At first this assignment felt like it was going to be really easy, but man was I wrong. I had no idea what mine was going to be about until I got home after a long day day of taking pictures. I sat down and looked through all the pictures I had taken to see if i could see some sort of a link and I think I've figured it out.All of these pictures are from different environments and make you act and feel different when in them.

I feel a bit creepy taking a picture of someones house but I
just could not resist. I found this house just so inviting, from
the archway to color and the design it made me want to walk in
and sit down for a cup of tea. It made me wish my house was more
 like that.
When I was younger I used to love this tree.  I
used to go into my backyard and swing whenever
I was feeling down or angry. I still do wonder how it
ever grew that way, and seeing it reminds me of simpler
times.
This was an area that we found in a park. it was set up so people
could go there and play chess. When we saw it all of the wooden
planks were gone and all that was left was concrete.
It seemed like it was forgotten and abandoned and just by standing
there you could feel it.
Okay, I'll admit I didn't take this picture this weekend, but I did
take it one of the more recent times I was in the city. When in
Times Square you get a feeling like no other. You could go there
1,000 times and never get rid of that feeling. When there you
can't help but look up in awe at all the lights and signs.
The way the front of this store was set up invites customers
to come in. Inside the widows theres colorful butterflies and
flowers hanging. 
On Sunday there was a street fair on Hillside Avenue
where they had a small carnival area set up with a few ridesand
games. Seeing all of this reminded me of when I was young(er)
and all it took was a few rides to put a simile on my face for a
whole week. It made me feel like a kid again and instantly made
 me happy
This is a picture I took in my friends backyard. Not only is it
beautiful but it reminds you that theres something outside of
your little computer screen.
My parents decided to take me to Port Washington to see
what kind of pictures I could get since I was having trouble.
This picture ended up being my inspiration for this series
of pictures. (The feeling this environment gave me will be
explained in the next picture)


If theres one thing I noticed while in Port Washington was
the effect a beautiful environment can completely change a
person. I'm not one to be quiet or calm but as I was walking
I found myself walking slower, talking lower and saying less.
The last time this happened was when I caught laryngitis in the
4th grade. This environment had a strange calming effect on me
that cannot be described

This is a picture of the street I live on. While ago my Dad told
me that these trees were the reason my parents bought the
house we live in. He told me that the way the tree branches arc
over the street gave him a feeling of safety and isolation that
is exactly what he was looking for. If it weren't for these trees I may
not be living in my house.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you telling me about the trees on your street. You have some good shots in here, I really like the one of the chess area in the park.

    ReplyDelete