So about a week ago Luke told Matt, Megan John and I that we have to watch a Spanish movie named Biutiful but we HAD to watch it together. So today we all gathered at my house, got some pizza and put it on. And wow, calling that movie depressing is an understatement. It tears at you bit by bit just to eventually break you down entirely.
watching that with 4 of my best friends was definitely interesting because you can tell when it finally got to each one of us. what hit me the hardest wasn't as significant to matt or what made Megan cower was just another scene to John. This movie hits you deep down. It plays on your mind and emotions. There were many tragic things that happened in it, some things were extremely disturbing, but I find it interesting that what completely broke me was the scene in the bathroom where Uxbal tells his daughter of his condition. My father is someone who has always been very near and dear to me. I'm my dads favorite and he's mine, that's just an except fact in my house. I love him more than anyone else and I found myself imagining being in that position. My father is the type to keep things from me. He won't ever tell me when theres something wrong in order to protect me. I couldn't imagine finding out something like that. It would absolutely kill me. Something as simply as a father and daughter crying together in a bathroom hit me harder than a room full of dead men, women and children. The first thing I did when he came home tonight was give him a big hug and of course his response was "what do you want?"but I think I'll just let him question it.
I just don't even know what else to say about it. What do you even do after a movie like that? I rarely tear up during movies, but during Biutiful I was ready to bawl like a baby. With a story like that focusing on the technical aspects isn't even possible. The acting was phenomenal and I think was one of the main reasons it was so successful. To me that movie wasn't even about good filmmaking, it's about the emotional experience, so even trying to analyze its film techniques isn't something I'm ever going to be able to do. Biutiful is one of those movies everyone should see, but not until they're ready for it. I know if I were to see this even a year ago it wouldn't hit me as hard as it did today.
No comments:
Post a Comment