I've decided that I need some opinions and now that I don't have the convenience of being in a community of artists everyday in STAC I decided to try and get some on here.
My Experience at FIT:
Now my time at FIT was odd. Being in a college environment and commuting to the city everyday is a huge difference than going to high school. Now it's nice to say that STAC did in fact prepare me for the class. The class was 3 hours long, and we mostly drew in 20 minute intervals with 5 minute breaks in between and one 15 minute break. So a similar time period to STAC but much more breaks. I'm used to working on something for 3 periods straight, not 20 minutes at a time. Now one thing that I did notice that might surprise you is that I was a lot faster than most people in my class. Luke is usually telling me I need to speed up, work faster and not obsess as much, but in this case I had my professor telling me to slow down. I'd finish each drawing with at least 5 minutes left and run out of things to improve upon. Some of the talent in my class was ridiculous, so it was definitely a lot harder to make your art stand out, but I guess that's how it's going to be in college. I know Sarah has some wonderful pieces that I'm in love with.
These are the pieces I'm most proud of from my 3 weeks at FIT
![]() |
| I'm not a huge fan of this one because I feel as if it resembles a man with a quite large chest when it is in fact a women and just drawn poorly. Done with compressed charcoal in 20 min. |
![]() |
| This one was popular with all my classmates. Some cleaning up needs to be done in certain spots but I'm pretty proud of this one. Done with vine and compressed charcoal in 30 minutes. |
Working on my own:
It's much harder to find inspiration when you're on your own so I've been looking to some pictures from my trip to Europe last summer. I've been trying to create quick portfolio pieces that I can just knock out in time for applications.I've started painting again which is nice! I kind of missed it. I think I've become much more of a painter than a sketcher. My passion lies in color and I can't just draw something with pencil and have it come out as something I'm proud of. I'm still playing around with various mediums though and trying different things. I started working on my own Wednesday and none of these are quite done yet, but this is what I've got:
My Plans for the upcoming future:
DO MORE. I really need to keep up this mentality of getting something done and then getting something else done. I can't be lazy and put off working on my art because I really need this to get me into college. All the money I make at work has been going toward buying supplies and all my time has been going towards creating something. In fact today I went and made some very large purchases that I hope to make some use out of soon. Good idea or bad? We'll soon find out.
![]() |
| Not sure whats going to go on them yet, but I'm bound to find something. Buy one get one free, hell yeah. |










Very cool! It's great to see that you're working again. I love the piece with the clock. I absolutely adore it. I love the color that you chose for the background, and the fact that you decided to leave it plain is great. Keep it up!
ReplyDeletea lot of really good work. I love the figure drawings.. but my favorite piece would be the last one you've posted. I can't wait to see it when it's finished, and I can't wait to see all the work you've done and how far you've gone come September. I really respect and admire your work ethic. Keep going.
ReplyDeleteHey there! Gorgeous work!
ReplyDelete1) I think you're going faster than everyone else because you're being decisive and they aren't.
2) The paintings are wonderful.
3) Love the last piece - conte crayon on black paper. Wonderful mood.
I'm glad you've been working so hard all summer. You've come a long way in a few months and it is great to see.
Warm regards,
Luke
Ooh nice figure drawings! (I didn't know you posted your FIT art on your blog!) I have to agree with the rest of your class in that the 4th one is very good (a lot of the models look really skinny...why is that?)
ReplyDeleteOn the pieces where you worked on your own, the color is great, and the last one....wow...as Luke said, a very moody piece. (That shading <3!)